12/14/12

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Reaction

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
the pines were roaring on the height
the winds were moaning in the night
the fire was red, it flaming spread
the trees like torches blazed with light

Let me start with saying that I loved "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey". Do I think it's pitch perfect every step of the way? No. Do I care that it's not pitch perfect every step of the way? Also no.

I realized while watching that I'm not a film critic. For years, I wondered if I was a film critic and not a filmmaker. Can you be a critic and a creator? I suppose. But I always secretly feared that I was just a critic. Just someone who complained about really bad movies. Trust me, I've done my share of complaining. I railed against "The Phantom Menace". I gave "Crystal Skull" what for. I whined over "King Kong". 

But somewhere along the way, during my own trials in filmmaking and television production, I realized just how hard it is to do this sort of work. Along the way, I found that it was easier for me to sit back and point out every flaw in a film than it was for me to actually do the hard work of making my own. And that's when I figured it out. 

I hate film criticism. 

I don't want to sit back and examine film. I want to stand up and make it. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment