1/23/11

The Frozen Wastelands of Late January Football

This Sunday marks the Conference Championships in the NFL. Only four teams remain. In the AFC there are the New York Jets and the Pittsburgh Steelers. In the NFC there are the Chicago Bears and the Green Bay Packers. No matter who wins on Sunday and then goes to the Super Bowl, these games sound like they could've been from 40 years ago. There's no Jaguars, Buccaneers, Texans, or Titans. No Panthers either. There are four teams who all have storied legacy. To the Namath Jets of the 60s, to Bradshaw's Steel Curtain in the 70s all of these teams feel right. That's not to say I deny it when a newer team goes the distance, I just like it when the old school teams are able to march all the way to late January.

So what are my predictions?

NFC

I think Chicago playing at home will be too much for Aaron Rodgers and the Packers. If Cutler plays smart and Hestor keeps giving him good field position they have a good shot at winning. Chicago defense will take care of the rest.

Chicago 24- Green Bay 14. Bears return to the Super Bowl after a four year absence.

AFC

I can't stand either of these teams. Coming from Indiana I'm a Colts fan. The Jets knocked out them out in the Wild Card game so I can't root for New York. I don't like the Steelers attitude. Especially James Harrison, he's a dirty player and I don't like the way he plays the game. Unfortunately, the Steelers do and that is why he is still on their roster. I'd rather see the Jets win because I think the Bears would have a better shot of beating them in Dallas. However, I think the Steelers will contain Sanchez and Rothlisberger will be too big physically for the Jets D to stop.

Pittsburgh 28- Jets 21. Steelers also return to the Super Bowl after a two year absence.


Next week I'll write up a little something something about the Big Game.



              

No comments:

Post a Comment